Attractions in and around Newdegate

Why not stop and have a look at what Newdegate has to offer?

Hainsworth Museum

The Hainsworth Building houses the Newdegate Pioneer Museum and is situated on the corner of Mitchell and Collier Street.

The building was commissioned by Charles Hainsworth, its first owner, and was built by Ted Freeland, originally a ship carpenter, during 1933/34 as a general store and tearooms. The building operated as a General store from 1934 until 1972 and operated with several owners during that period.

The building continues to act as the Newdegate Pioneer Museum and a community facility. It has been restored to represent a store from the 1950's with shelves stocked full of product from this era. There are internals banners that hold memories from local community members helping to paint a picture of what life was like during the 1950's in Newdegate.

Hainsworth Museum

Newdegate Silos

Newdegate's four towering CBH Silos are the 5th stop on the FORM PUBLIC Silo Trail. The murals by local Perth Artist Brenton See were completed in 13 days in June 2018.

Concentrating on native Western Australian wildlife the first to be painted was the regions western bearded lizard, next the local mallee fowl and then the thigh spotted tree frog and red-tailed phascogale. The final mural in the series is an emblematic depiction of the region. It features a droplet shaped form, half-white, half-teal. The white and teal droplet represents both the rain; essential to growth: and the surrounding lake systems which support many insects and animals at different times of the year. In the background are coloured squares illustrating the land, and how it appears from above, green for the bushland areas and brown, orange and red for the red dirt and rocky areas.

Newdegate Silos

The Newdegate Skatepark

A group of motivated and exceptional local women were behind the fantastic Newdegate Skatepark that opened in June 2018. It has been professionally designed and is suitable for all ages and skill levels.

The concrete skate park has a mini ramp and extension, adventure playground, shade shelters, grass areas, family space, water fountain and a beautiful mural along the side.

Located on the corner of Mitchell and Maley Streets it is open to the public at all times. 


Holland Track

The Holland Track was created as a direct result of the discovery of gold in Coolgardie. Gold brought fortune seekers to Western Australia from all around the world. Some alighted at Albany and made their way to Perth where they headed east by various forms of transport to the Goldfields. Others continued by ship to Fremantle and then headed to Southern Cross and the Coolgardie Goldfields. Whichever route they chose, it was long and tedious.

A more direct route was needed.

John Holland, an experienced bushman, mounted a carefully planned expedition to find a shorter route to the Goldfields.

In April 1893, Holland, Rudolph Krakouer, David Krakouer and John Carmody left Broomehill with five ponies, a light dray, a 100 gallon (450 litres) water tank and provisions for 5-6 months. Using a small compass they aimed for Gnarlbine Rock, the Goldfields’ main water supply. Holland would go ahead each day and scout for water and horse feed, while the others cut the track. They reached Bayleys Find at Fly Flat on 18 June, having covered nearly 540 kilometres in two months, cutting the longest cart road ever made in one stretch in Western Australia.

The track was used immediately by prospectors, fortune seekers, merchants, transport operators and anyone else needing to get to the Goldfields.

18,000 people used the shortcut over the next three years, up until the last link of the railway from Perth to Coolgardie was completed, providing a rail link to the Goldfields.

Holland Track

Lake Biddy

The now historic townsite of Lake Biddy was named after the nearby lake of the same name. It is said to have been named with the nickname of the daughter of Surveyor E. T. Morrow in the early 1920's.

The townsite was gazetted in 1925 and covers an area of 575.748 square kilometres. Lake Biddy has a recorded population of 39 residents.

The Lake Biddy Hall which still remains in vacant ruin was constructed in 1926.

Lake Biddy

Dragon Rock

Lies on the Holland Track, enjoy the natural beauty of this reserve, resplendent in spring wildflowers.

Dickman Rock

The original water catchment for Newdegate it has magnificent views over the surrounding countryside.

Gnamma Rock

A massive granite monolith with numerous "gnamma" waterholes used by the Aborigines. It has unique flora and fauna.

Lake Bryde

When full is a popular water skiing and canoeing venue with bush camping.